Think Spring.

Monday, February 9

option2 copy

When do we all get to start "thinking spring"?

I have started wondering about this recently as I've walked past my favorite stores and noticed ridiculous posters in the windows that say things like "think spring" and "soak in the sun" and "new spring styles" while tank-top-clad models ride in boats and play in sprinklers and such.

Now, here I am standing on the sidewalk in boots and long-johns and a wool sweater and long puffy jacket, and as I stare at the pretty yellow tank tops and cotton dresses, I can't help but wonder, "what the heck are these stores thinking?!" Do they want us to all go jump off the nearest bridge?

Here we have 3 inches of snow on the ground and at least 2 more months of winter. To even begin to "think spring" is simply emotional suicide.

In fact, even if I was crazy enough to actually buy a new tank top and then go play in the sprinklers in it, I would be sorely disappointed, as my arms and hands would go numb before could hook up the hose, and the sprinkler wouldn't work anyway because the pipes would be frozen.

Perhaps marketing for these stores is located in Southern California, and perhaps whoever decided to release spring materials in January simply overlooked the fact that some people are still living in the artic tundra, but it simply seems dangerous to advertise in such a careless way. Come on stores: consider the feelings and emotions of those who can only ice-skate on the nearby lakes and who could only wear a short baby blue cotton dress while standing in a hot shower.

Perhaps you would be better off marketing baby blue earmuffs and bright pink ski socks. Then we could "think spring" while still keeping our poor faces and toes from frostbite.

3 comments:

Brad Chappell said...

And since the average temp for Pittsburgh in April is 49 degrees it will be quite some time before you're running around in a yellow tank top! :)

Milla said...

true that. so sad.

betsy said...

The only time those ads made sense to me was in Florida when in January you can start updating your spring closet! Welcome to the northeast when you just get to look at the cute stuff but don't get to wear it until June! Miss you guys!