Show don't tell!

Thursday, February 12

brad
Brad, learning to rock manual mode

I'm a little nervous today. And you can tell this because if you were to look closely, you'd find remnants of a Wendys hamburger and fries in our trash can.

That's right. When I'm nervous, I will resort to fast food to dull the pain.

Anyway, today is a big day because I'm giving my first photography presentation and workshop to a group of mothers here in the city. Since I somehow morphed from writing into linguistics into photography, I am giving a cool talk about writing your child's story through photography.

I don't even remember my writing teacher's name (do you LB?), but I do remember the important lessons she taught me about setting, conflict, and detail, and those are some of the things I'll be encouraging these moms to document through photographs! As I learned in the Haley Center years ago, I'll be encouraging them to "show, not tell!" And, I'll also be talking about less interesting things like framing, composition, aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.

Pretty fun, huh? I must say that one parent who did this very well is my sweet dad. He just sent me some old pictures he took of me and Krisan when we were young, and Brad and I just laughed and laughed. Those photos reminded me how important it is to document the small things.

So, I have four of these talks in the next two months, so I am really hoping they will help with business through word-of-mouth advertising. And, I'm also hoping it will truly motivate these parents (and myself) to keep taking pictures - lots of them.

2 comments:

Ali said...

Milla!
How did you get this talk thing going? You must be awesome at this...:)

Melissa said...

how did the first class go? how exciting!