My Big Nine #5-6

Sunday, January 25

Lena_Double

Now for the next in the oh-nine series... Numbers 5 and 6 on my list are next up on the list, and I'm posting them together because they're both photography-related. Here are my next two goals for oh-nine.

#5: Take pictures constantly and manually

These are two of the important things I've learned from Annie O. In order to improve and learn, you should do two things: First, take pictures every day. Without exception. Every day. Second, shoot in full manual mode. You know that little "M" on your dial- yep, that's the one. Turn it there and leave it there because only then do you have total control over your settings and will you LEARN your workings of your camera like second nature.

#6: Begin to take my own jobs.


This one was hard for me. But, after some encouragement, I took the plunge just after Christmas by launching my own website and business name - Milla Chappell Photography. In just a short time I have already become extremely busy with 6 weddings booked as well as many other portrait sessions and birthday parties in the next few months.

I feel like this new adventure is such a blessing, as I was often so discontent pursuing an academic career. I just kept feeling like "there must be something more fitting for me!" I mean, what if I can make my living hanging out with people, documenting their lives? That idea is very, very exciting.

So, in oh-nine I hope to see this business venture develop and grow. And, I will continue working as a team with Annie, too, which is of course amazing!

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Yay! I'm so excited you posted about this. You are an awesome photographer and such a blessing to people. I hope you will take pictures of my kids one day. Love you!

Melissa said...

the other day we were in a coffee shop and a lady was playing with her camera. Noah kept smiling and laughing at her and she asked if she could take some pictures of him. We agreed, of course, but then she had to hear my sad story of my amazing photographer sister-in-law who lives oh so far away and can't snap cute pictures of my kid :( they were good pictures, but I've seen better...hint, hint :)

The Gentrys said...

Milla, your photos are wonderful! Any tips you want to pass along? I'm still slowly pursuing photography (well trying to while working another full time job and moving) but my biggest problem is grasping lighting / shooting in full manual mode. Any suggestions or books you might recommend?

Anonymous said...

Milla, I'm so proud of you! Your photos and website look fantastic!!! I can't wait to continue seeing all the photos you take- I'm so inspired!

Melissa said...

Milla! That's amazing, and I'm so glad to hear it!

I was wondering how long it would be before your photography talents would turn into a vocation for you. SO good to hear that God is moving - and pushing you toward a route where you will touch people's lives during some of the most important events in them!

We got a
DSLR for Christmas from in-laws - Nikon D60 - and I'm trying to learn to use it manually. HARD. But fun. Eric's doing better than me with it.