Light!

Sunday, September 21

20080920-DSC_0090

Have you ever taken pictures of buildings or landscapes and wondered why they look dull and lifeless? I know I have! Well, this week I was reading a photography magazine that explained what I've been missing:

"the most important lesson I have learned is that I should not photograph buildings or landscapes. I should photograph light!" - Yannis Larios

The morning after reading this, I was working with Annie on Carnegie Mellon's campus, and I noticed she was following the early morning light, only taking pictures of buildings or subjects illuminated somehow by that wonderful orang-y glow. So cool!

So, this weekend I tried doing that very thing. I waited until the sun began to set, and I went down the street to Homewood Cemetery. The magazine tip really worked, and I got a few pictures that I like. Since I found this tip so helpful, I thought I'd pass it along. Wait until the two "happy hours" as Annie puts it, an hour after sunup or an hour before sunset to photograph your favorite buildings and landscapes.

4 comments:

Ashley Turnbull said...

So fun! Love the pictures! Keep sharing the photo hints and your stories with Annie. I am loving this!

Amanda said...

I love the cemetary! Don't think it is weird, but I think there is something about a cemetary that is beautiful. Marble and wrought iron!

Krisan said...

So glad you posted links to all your albums... It's fun to see them all. Love you!!

Anonymous said...

Ι am really glad that this comment that I made to Digital Photographer magazine, was of help :-)

Good luck with your photography and keep in touch!

Regards,
Yannis