Linkles

Monday, September 22

So I was listening to a recorded exercise completed by one of my students today, and I left chuckling at how a simple pronunciation error can sound so funny.

When describing a famous person from his country, one guy said "he has linkles and dark eyes." I thought I misunderstood, so I looked at the student's own written transcription of his speech. Sure enough, he wrote "he has linkles and dark eyes"

Hmmm.... what is linkles, linkles, linkles... shingles? lingers? blinkers?

WRINKLES!! Of course!! So funny.

I totally understand these types of problems, though, because when I was studying in France, someone asked me how I felt, and it was just after some meal so I patted my tummy and said (what I thought meant) "I am full". Turns out I was telling him "I am pregnant." Everyone said "ooooooh!!"

International students do say the darndest things! (including me!)

3 comments:

Melissa said...

oh this makes my heart smile! How funny:-) "Linkles" should be your next dog's name...

Krisan said...

That's hilarious, they are so cute aren't they!

Kristen Triplett said...

Hehe...I once had a foreign TA that was trying to tell us that our tests would be returned to us the next day. The only problem was, she had a little trouble pronouncing "tests"...it came out "testes"