
So, I'm back asking for more food advice...
When Brad and I moved to Pittsburgh, we set some new goals related to our health, our marriage, our money, our time, etc. One of the goals related to our health and money is to plan out each week's menu in advance and to just take one grocery-story trip, therefore reducing the number of last-minute meals out (which we love) and/or last-minute trips to the grocery store (which we loathe)!
It's worked okay so far. I've been buying all our meat at costco weeks in advance, so when we make our menu, we really only have to buy side items and fresh produce/veggies. However, we still end up with too much food sometimes, as we usually have more leftovers than we expect or something else comes up which changes dinner plans. Just today I threw away some food that went bad because we didn't use it last week.
Also, Brad and I really enjoy cooking together (our dates usually consist of cooking a nice meal and then taking the dogs around the neighborhood to walk it off!), so we're also trying to incorporate at least one new, "fun" meal into each week's menu. It's great - I read bon appetite and watch cooking shows, pick one meal that looks interesting and new, and we look forward to it all week! (This week I'm particularly excited about Rachael Ray's Szechuan Chicken Salad. Even through all her cheeziness, she comes up with the best recipes. I was drooling as I watched her put this one together.) However, I hate buying new ingredients for our "fun" meals that end up going to waste. I need to figure out how to use specialty ingredients more effectively OR how to substitute normal things on my shelf.
So anyway, since this meal-planning is new for me, I'm wondering, do you all have any tips? Do you make certain things ahead and freeze them? Do you leave a few nights for leftovers? What is one of your family's favorite easy weeknight meals and/or "fun" meals? Do you have any favorite ingredient substitutions? I know some of you have written about this in your blogs (which has also encouraged me to stick to it!), but I'd love to have your feedback.
Food.
Monday, September 1
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
hey Milla, I don't feel like I cook very many exciting meals, but I do try to do something new every now and then. We do have things we rely on from week to week, usually involving ground beef because it's the cheaper of the meats. We do a lot of spaghetti types dishes and mexican dishes. Those usually show up every week. And I definitely leave nights for leftovers. When I first started really sticking to a meal plan, I was over planning and ending up with so much extra food. So now I only plan 3-4 main meals a week and leave the other nights for leftovers or a quick dinner out. I also usually make sure there is a frozen pizza in the freezer just in case.
I am TERRIBLE at this, so I can't wait to see what folks say. The main thing I do is to keep staple items on hand, mainly things for mexi-related dishes: ground beef, rice, black beans (our fav), cheese, and tortillas. Oh, the things you can do w/ those staple items! I really don't go to the store much mid-week due to work. Typically, if we don't have it - we eat PB&J =).
Otherwise, LB has motivated me to meal plan, which has never worked (maybe THIS time). Also, we never try anything new b/c the hubs is picky =). A few recent favs:
--mini burgers w/ sweet potato fries
--anything in the tortilla maker
--some form of chicken w/ rosemary red potatoes
--parmesan chicken tenders (baked)
--salmon cakes (lightly fried)
Yeah, I like both ideas, LB... a frozen pizza, and 2 or 3 leftover nights! Even just today we ended up scratching the menu at the last minute when things came up. So, good idea!
And Ashley, I am dying to have your recipe for salmon cakes! We love salmon and try to eat it often, but I've never tried making it that way. Thanks!
hey Milla,
Eric and I have meal-planning pretty successfully for the last few months.
We take turns picking out meals on Sunday afternoons for the next week, and usually leave every 3rd night for leftovers (2 meals, then a leftover night).
One tip is that, if you're buying an ingredient that you don't always use and that will go bad, like chipotle chiles, find 2 recipes that use it and make them that week. (For chipotles, maybe homemade chili and then chipotle-orange chicken or something.)
Another tip is to always have 1 or 2 "emergency" meals on hand so you don't have to go to the store if you run out of stuff one night. We usually keep a can of black beans, yellow rice, and a frozen veggie on hand since those things don't go bad. Frozen veggies can be a lifesaver since it's hard to buy produce more than few days ahead of time. And they're just as nutritious as fresh, although not as much fun. You can add spices and stuff to mix them up.
I also usually plan large veggie sides to go with 2 meals - like salad 2 nights in a row with whatever we're eating that night.
I hope that's helpful!
Also, crock-pots are amazing.
Post a Comment