Updates...

Thursday, August 14



There are a few things that are of first importance to me when in a new place:

1) finding a church and friends
2) locating the nearest coffee shop
3) finding the best running/walking route around the neighborhood
4) Target.

Well, we have been in Pittsburgh for five days, and we have successfully completed numbers 2-4. I rode my bike to a great new coffee shop this morning, and I found the nearest Target on day two. Also, Brad and I (and the dogs) took our first long walk as a family last night. Finding a church will be a longer process, but we already have a few in the area that we're excited about visiting!

After being here a few days, I can honestly say that we're giddy with excitement about this city. It's just the right size for us - not huge like New York but very compact with a great city-like feel. The city is nestled within the hills of Pennsylvania, so the views are amazing, and the people seem very down-to-earth and normal. Brad is happy with his job, and he's already meeting possible couple friends for us there!

The bad things are, the hills are unbearable! I rode my bike yesterday and today, and both times, I thought I would actually die. I talked to someone outside our house as I left yesterday, and I was so embarrassed when he saw me come back 20 minutes later, huffing and puffing like I rode a marathon. Also, we are not used to living in the city, hearing the noise of the street all night. Houses here aren't air conditioned, and sleeping with the windows open is going to take getting used to!

Well, that's all the updates I have for now. Also, the picture above is from inside the Pirates stadium a few nights ago. What a view!

8 comments:

Ashley Turnbull said...

Milla! It is great to hear that you guys are excited about being in PA! And, I am thrilled that Brad likes his job - Tetra Tech will be good to him, I promise =).

Also, LOVING THE PICTURE AND EXCITED THAT I MAY ONE DAY BE THE OWNER OF THE SAME CAMERA YOU HAVE! Fun times! Did you use a tripod?

Milla said...

HAHA!! Thanks. Actually, I hadn't taken a tripod, so I sat my camera on the edge of the stadium, with the strap around my neck of course! I can't wait until you get the D60! (you will actually have a nicer camera! Those things are amazing... I played with one after we talked)

LB said...

Milla, all of that sounds so exciting. How fun to be in a new city discovering new things with Brad. And I agree about your essentials. Luckily, I have those things even in my little town. If I was living in the town where I grew up--no Target or coffee shop!! I am glad ya'll are excited.

The Slagleys said...

I am so glad it has been off to a good start! It sounds like an adventure, I am happy that you guys are already getting out and about finding everything. Great picture too!

Scott said...

This may help with #1: http://caniwearjeans.blogspot.com/

Amanda said...

Love the picture! And I'm so glad that you guys are "giddy". I will be praying for the church as that is so important. Talk to you soon.

Melissa said...

So glad you are enjoying your new "hometown!" I've been praying for you guys. And FYI...there is a Calvary Chapel 12 miles from your house. If at all interested, you can go to www.calvarychapel.com and search churches. The Pastor sounds exciting! We love you guys...still can't believe we live on separate coasts!

Milla said...

I checked out can i wear shorts and calvary chapel! Thanks guys!