Skies.

Friday, July 18

I have a confession to make. Today I overheard some ladies comparing Florida skies to northeastern skies, and I got so sad I almost couldn't stand it. If I remember right, the words "dark" and "cold" were associated with northeastern skies and the words "blue" and "open" and "sunny" were associated with Florida skies.

I grew up in the sunshine state, so those words describe only one thing for me: home.

Tonight after I got in the car, I rolled the window down and stared up at the big open clear sky, breathing the air in deep. And, I wondered if any other sky could ever be so beautiful, could ever smell so good or feel like home.

This residual state of 'sad' lingered with me into the night, and as I was lying in bed staring at the cealing, I realized how bizarre it is that my emotions can allow me to feel so excited about something one minute and so sad the next. Essentially, I realized how unpredictable emotions can be, not just in the midst of change, but any time.

In that quiet moment, the Lord was good. He helped me to take my thoughts captive and to dwell instead on truth: on His nature and on the ways He has been faithful in every tiny detail of our lives, on his promise to not leave me or forsake me in the midst of this detail. And, I share this here as I know a few of you have dealt with and have written about this very issue, and I have been blessed and encouraged by your candor. When dealing with the emotional ups and downs of life - of big things and small, it can be very hard to meditate on things that are true, things that are lovely, things that are excellent and are worthy of praise.

So, as I fall asleep tonight, my prayer is that the Lord would once again be teaching me in a very practical way to meditate on his truth and to simply and completely trust him. And, it is my hope that eventually, the gray skies of Pennsylvania will be able to feel like a new kind of home to me.

7 comments:

LB said...

what an encouraging post, Milla!! Thanks for sharing. Emotions are so unpredictable, aren't they?

Melissa said...

I love your words here Milla!! I wonder how many times in life the Lord will ask us to make "new homes?" hmmm...

Isn't it strange and amazing how many places can end up "feeling like home" after living there long enough? Further proof that our God is leading us and putting in us exactly what we need to 'survive in new places.' Thankfully he holds us during all the adjustments and allows us to feel the many emotions that come along with it all. I love your honesty through this and the fact that you are stepping out in faith in this whole process...very encouraging!! love you~ Josh.1:8 :-)

Donna said...

Ditto to the above but a light-hearted comment: you aren't moving to the northeast. Tetra calls it the central region. I think the skies must be blue, bright, and sunny there and very open! Dark and dreary would be in Maine, Vermont, NH.

Scott said...

Milla, usually I'd leave the nurturing words for the more encouraging, uplifting gender. However, I did a little google search and I thought you would like to know that your new home will be less than 300mi away from Scranton, PA, home of The Office.

I thought you might be able to take some solace in the fact that if there is ever another Michael Scott Dunder Mifflin’s Scranton Meredith Palmer Memorial Celebrity Rabies Awareness Pro-Am Fun Run Race For The Cure, you and Brad could drive over for the weekend.

Lindsay said...

Scott and LB told me to check out your blog because you have two boxers like my husband and I do - we actually just got the new puppy the other day. Anyway, your boys are gorgeous! And I loved reading some of your posts - you've got a knack for writing and taking pictures!

Lindsay Taylor

Melissa said...

milla...what is the latest news with everything? I can't wait for your next update! xo xo

Milla said...

Yes I am hoping Pittsburgh will be better than, say, Philly. And, I am enjoying all the sunshine-y days that I can right now! Scott, I am VERY excited about being near Scranton. We talked about going to take a picture by a "welcome to scranton" sign...