Dirty Santa

Tuesday, November 7

Today I received an invitation from an old friend in Auburn. She is having a Christmas party on December 16th, and all of my friends from my MA program will be there. I am really excited about this, and I really hope I can make it. I miss everyone from the English department, and it's really interesting to see what everyone is doing now: two of my friends are in the PhD program in English at Auburn; one is teaching 7 composition classes; one transferred to Montgomery; a couple are working in non-English jobs; and two of us switched over into Linguistics. It will be really fun to catch up with everyone...

The invitation said that we will play "dirty Santa." Do you know about this game? Basically, everyone brings a gift and puts it in a pile in the middle of the group. Everyone draws a number, and when it is your turn, you can choose a new gift or steal someone else's gift (hence the name "dirty"). This is a pretty common Christmas game in America, so I bet you will play it sometime soon!

2 comments:

janee said...

wow! you are an early bird for christmas! we will be in arizona in christmas and hope to play the dirty santa with bruce's family!! i am excited to meet them.

Anonymous said...

ha~we have a same game in Taiwan. We always draws a number for evey gift, and draw numbers on paper and put them in a box. Everyone draw it out without seeing it. It is called "exchange gift". The worst thing is getting the gift from yourself. haha~