
our first signs of Spring - today in Frick Park
When I saw the first green sprouts this week, I had mixed emotions. I was excited, but at the same time I felt a twinge of disappointment.
It seems so unlike me, but I have to confess: I loved Pittsburgh in the winter. Loved it. I loved waking up, stumbling into the kitchen, filling up the tea kettle with water, turning on the gas, and looking out the window to see white.
White. Falling from the sky, covering the ground, clinging to the trees, hiding my car, decorating my neighbor's roof.
I loved taking a hot shower while looking out the window at the snow. I loved pulling on ski socks under my jeans, thinking to myself that no one had to know. I loved slipping on my knee-length down jacket every single day and smelling the familiar smell of 'warm'. I loved opening the door and feeling the crisp air on my face. I loved walking with Brad and the dogs when we had the parks and the sidewalks to ourselves. I loved hanging out with friends inside while the snow was falling outside. I loved wrapping big, thick scarves around my neck. I loved driving home at night as the city lights lit up the falling snow.
For months, the temperature here rarely rose above freezing, and most mornings, it was about 15 degrees outside. If I would have known that before we moved, I might have stayed home. However, there's something really special about doing something different, and I can honestly say that I loved growing and adjusting and learning. The first day that the temperature was 70 here, I said to Brad, "I miss winter already" and then I thought "crazy but true!"
Now, the first green sprouts are showing their heads, and the temperature is in the 50s every day, but my first winter has been etched in my mind as wonderful. This Spring, I will not miss scraping my windshield every morning, and I will not complain about packing away my puffy jackets; but, I will absolutely miss the sweet feeling of falling snow on my cheeks and the sensation of newness.
So, here's to winter. And also, here's to winter moving on. We'll miss it while it's gone, but in the meantime.... hiking! running! biking! open windows! cotton dresses! flip flops! yippee!
here's to winter (moving on).
Friday, March 27
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
So the Florida girl has turned into a Northerner :) Glad you really love P'burgh and the winter. I'm sure it will be back before you know it!!!
What a great post! I can't wait to visit in the summertime :) Love you!
Great thoughts, Milla- it's cool how your perspective on life can change when you have sweet memories attached to it...
Post a Comment