
the streets this week...
Since it's gotten colder her, a few people have asked if we've still been attempting to run. Well, Brad is a champion. He runs three times a week like clockwork - ice, snow, rain, sleet, it doesn't matter! But, I have been slower to put my shoes on and get out the door. However, every time I DO get out the door, I realize that it's totally, totally worth it. The process in my mind usually goes a little something like this...
"I need to run - I've been inside all day.
Let's check the weather.
24 degrees. Dang.
Maybe I don't need to run after all.
(...remembers last night's hot chocolate)
No, I need to run.
Okay, I can do this (...puts on ski socks, 2 pairs of pants, shoes, underarmour top, another underarmour top, hat, gloves, and iPod, and leaves the house...)
Move, woman, move! You need to get warmer!
My cheeks are cold.
My eyeballs are cold.
If I pull my hat down over my face, can I see through the fabric?
Nope! Can't do that.
As soon as I can, I'm buying a ski mask.
But then I might frighten the neighbors.
I'll just tell them I moved here from Florida. They'll understand.
okay... it's been 5 minutes. I'm feeling okay, getting warmer...
Oh wow, just look around. The snow is so beautiful.
Aaah! I can't look up or I'll slip on that beautiful snow!
Do northerners have special gripp-y running shoes for winter?
It's amazing how a few miles of distance can make a place so different.
Auburn was so different from Florida.
Florida is so different from here.
But I guess we are more than a few miles away.
How many miles are we from Auburn or Florida?
I have no idea.
I really need to learn a little more about geography.
How long have I been going?
8 minutes.
I'll go down by the park.
I wonder if many people are out.
Oh, some dog people are out!
Wow, I'm completely warm now - I can unzip my top a little.
Woaaah no I can't. Too cold. Zip it back.
These homes are so beautiful.
I wonder what the people are doing inside.
Do they have fireplaces? Are they sitting around the dinner table?
I wonder what the kids here do to stay busy during the winter.
If I grew up here, I'd have gone sledding and built snowmen.
Look at those Christmas decorations! So pretty!
"sleighbells ring, are you listening, in the lane snow is glistening... la la la... in the meadown we can build a snowman... la la la... running in a winter wonderland... la la la... later on we'll conspire as we dream by the fire..."
What exactly does it mean to conspire by the fire?
Songs say such silly things.
Check the time. 16 minutes.
It's getting dark.
I need to head home.
If I turn here, I'll face the mountain around the corner.
If I turn around and go the other way, it's flatter.
I'll turn around and go the other way.
This is amazing - I'm actually hot. I feel like I could take off a layer.
I need to remember this feeling next time.
It's just getting out the door that's hard.
The rest is great.
I love this. I absolutely love this.
Running
Monday, December 8
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Have you ever watched the New Balance commercials about the love/hate relationship of running? You can find them on YouTube and they are a perfect description of how I feel MOST days about running... here's a link to one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdeEPhdpay0.
okay that commercial actually made me tear up. Ridiculous. Thanks for sharing Rachel, and by the way, your black bean soup recipe was great. We made a double-batch and ate it 3 nights this week!
I love it! You are quite funny inside your head! love you :)
Too funny :o)
this is hilarious Milla~ and SO true about running!! I can't imagine how cold you must be when you first start--and I am SO proud of you and Brad for braving the weather (no matter what) and getting out there and running!!! Your pictures are beautiful of your winter wonderland~ I love the squirrel picture:-) Love you lots!!
This was great Milla. For me, it usually goes:
"Maybe Scott doesn't need to run" "You're right, 3rd person me, I don't need to run. Wonder what's on TV?"
yes I definitely have those days too ;) this is just an ambitious example...
Post a Comment