
a few of the many flowers given to GP over the past months
(I wrote the following for my grandmother's memorial service which took place this morning. But I want to share it here too, as I know many of you who love us and have been praying for GP would like to hear it too)
This Christmas week, Brad and I both lost grandparents; this past Saturday, my sweet GP and Brad's MaMa passed away. Brad is spending time with his family in Birmingham, so we couldn’t make Grandma Pat’s memorial service, but I wanted to have the chance to tell you all what my grandmother meant to me this Christmas specifically.
This year, Christmas was very different. Instead of sitting around a tree, this Christmas was spent sitting with Grandma Pat. Instead of talking about food and gifts, this Christmas was spent reflecting on life and on death and on the true meaning of Jesus coming to earth as a child. This year, Christmas was spent taking communion and reading about heaven and giving thanks to God for family. And because of Grandma Pat, this Christmas was more special and more meaningful than ever before.
Grandma Pat amazed me. During her last weeks on earth, she didn't complain or worry; she didn't flinch at the thought of death. She simply enjoyed the things around her and looked forward to every card, every phone call, and every visitor. Though she didn’t have a strong appetite, boy did she enjoy Krisan's Blueberry Pie and Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark. She repeatedly asked her nurses to look at her prized "grandmother wall” - a wall of pictures of Alicia and Russell, Michael and John, Celeste and Brad, Krisan and Casey, and me and Brad, and she had a photo book of her great-grandson Grant that she proudly showed everyone who walked through her door. She always smiled and laughed, and because of her, we all did too. Whenever someone came in her room, her face lit up. When asked if she was comfortable, she always said “mmm hmmmm” with a smile. She made jokes about wanting more great-grandkids, and when we offered to paint her nails and toenails, she accepted though she joked that she didn't have many left to paint. She constantly thought of others, and she sent cards, letters, and flowers to others even when she could hardly write. I was simply amazed at her sweet, positive attitude about everything. Many of you who have known GP have said the same things about her selflessness and her every-positive outlook on life, and you should know that she was the very same person until the second her spirit went to heaven.
When I first left to come home for Christmas break, I thought this was going to be a very sad visit. I knew GP was becoming weaker by the day, and though I wanted to be with her more than anything, I thought our time might be depressing and painful.
But I was very, very wrong. Because of GP, our time was full and meaningful, and because of Christ, we were able to truly rejoice. I came home changed after watching my grandmother’s strength and love in the last weeks of her life. I have a new perspective on relationships and how important it is to focus on people instead of things, and I have new resolve to keep in touch with those living far away. Most importantly, though, I have a new love for my savior and a new appreciation for why he came to earth as a child on Christmas morning; now I truly understand what someone having assurance of heaven actually looks like. Thank you, Grandma Pat, for your example. We all love you very much.
GP
Monday, December 29
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I was just coming to your blog to tell you that I love your fam so much and I am praying for you guys. And I wanted to let you know that I was so sad I couldn't be there last night or today. And then I found this blog and you seriously almost made me cry. At any rate, back to the reason I came here. We all love you and are praying for you.
Thanks for posting this, Milla. I will continue to lift up you and your family in prayer; I know it is difficult to be away from family when situations like this arise. If people really do meet/reunite in the Lord, then perhaps Mama and GP are bragging about their grandchildren together!
I'm so sorry about your grandparents. Both of them. I remember both of them fondly during your wedding festivities and visits to Eustis in college. Thanks for that post. I needed to hear that as well. Praying for you sweet friend! Love you.
This is beautiful, Milla. I am sorry that your Christmas was bittersweet, but I am glad that you have such wonderful memories of your grandmother. I will be praying for ya'll.
OH Milla,
I am so sorry I have been a bad blogger friend! I have been so out of touch with my friend's blogs and sadly I missed this news until I got to talk to you today. I actually am glad I got to talk to you before I read this. I think it is so amazing that the Lord gave you his perspective this Christmas season even in the midst of death he, as always, gives his children good gifts(time spent with your grandma pat the last few weeks of her life)!! I love that no matter how long its been since the last time we talked that the Lord gives us similar seasons of life to share in~ Love you dearly! Praying for your sweet family~
Post a Comment