Change

Monday, July 14

www.pittsburghskyline.com

It's been so long since I've written in my little blog! I miss you all! Brad and I have wonderfully busy spending time with family, and we've also been busy dealing with some changes that have come up unexpectedly and quickly - changes I want to finally tell you all about.

The change that has happened is, we are moving. We are leaving wonderful Florida and moving to the northeast.

To keep a short story short, just a few weeks ago, Brad was contacted by a company in Pittsburgh called Tetra Tech about a group that they are starting and would like him to lead. He flew up and met the team, and we had to make a decision - quickly! We were surprised and a little overwhelmed at first, but as we settled into the idea, we both felt a real peace about the decision.

So, we have decided to take this opportunity, and we're moving the second weekend in August. We have such mixed feelings - we're excited, but we're also sad and a little scared. We are sad because we love Gainesville so much. We love our church, our friends, our house, our family so close by, our neighborhood, our schedules, Florida's climate, and Gainesville's wonderful people. We are nervous because everything is unknown. Where will we live? Will we find good friends? How will our dogs survive in the city? How will we survive a snowy winter?

But, the Lord's timing was good, and he prepared our heart for this move long before Brad received the first phone call. Brad has long been wanting something different, and as I wrote my thesis this summer, spending long hours in a lab behind a computer screen, I started wanting something different, too. I started longing for something more fulfilling and fitting for my personality. So, we are excited because this is going to be an adventure for our little family, a chance to try something totally different and to step out of our comfort zone.

If you will, please do pray for us. We're trying to take care of all the practical things like selling our house and packing up while also trying to soak up and enjoy all the things that we love about this wonderful place. We're practicing resting in the fact that the Lord truly is in control while also anxiously anticipating all that is to come.

So, in the spirit of Pittsburgh, I leave you with a wonderful passage from one of my all-time favorite authors who also grew up there, Annie Dillard. Weirdly enough, this passage somehow also describes this moment for me...



"And leaving... we find ourselves on the receiving end of a tiny, final event, a piece of unexpected wind.

A ripple of wind comes down from the woods and across the clearing toward us. We see a wave of shadow and gloss where the short grass bends and the cottage eaves tremble. It hits us in the back. It is a single gust, a sport, a rogue breeze out of the north, as if some reckless, impatient wind has bumped the north door open on its hinges and let out this acre of scent familiar and forgotten, this cool scent of tundra, and of November. Fall! Who authorized this intrusion? Stop or I'll shoot. It is an entirely misplaced air - fall, that I have utterly forgotten, that could be here again, another fall, and here it is only July.

I thought I was younger, and would have more time. The gust crosses the river and blackens the water where it passes, like a finger closing slats"

Annie Dillard, Teaching a Stone to Talk

9 comments:

Melissa said...

what an incredible post and quote Milla!! I got all teary eyed reading it. How amazing that the Lord knew you would find that quote and attach it to this blog post even before you had any idea about Pittsburgh--and yet it would fit perfectly into the season of life he is leading you into~ one more puzzle piece of his plans being woven together for you:-) You get to see God make it all come together...part of me is wishing I was in your shoes...it is such a time of stepping out in faith allowing our creator to catch you and place you exactly where he wants you to land! It might feel bumpy at times but he will be there every second of your journey~ Praying for your heart through it all my friend:-)I am SO excited for you!!! Love and hugs to you and Brad!!!!

Melissa said...

one more thing I forgot to mention---the picture you have of the Pittsburgh skyline is really beautiful~ I had no idea how pretty of a city it is!!!! You will have to find a fun local coffee shop (which I know they have tons of there) and post some pictures!!!!

Amanda said...

Love the post and very sad you will be moving so far away! Ashley works for Tetra Tech too. I guess it's the same company. Please call me soon when you get a chance.

Ashley Turnbull said...

Congratulations! Gosh I know about hard decisions and changes - what a great testimony that you guys can walk in faith towards this one! Tell me more a/b the Tetra Tech he's going to work for - that might be us! Ha! Keep us updated!

The Slagleys said...

What a great opportunity! I can't wait to hear all about the move and the adjustment, etc. I know that the Lord is preparing your place there and it will be exciting to see what He has mapped out for you both! We will definitely be praying for you as you leave Florida and as you move to Pittsburgh.

jane said...

how brave!
i know God will bless y'all in unexpected ways...
i love annie dillard too!

LB said...

so exciting Milla. The city!! And, of course, change, which is sometimes fun, but always scary. Please keep us updated, especially with your plans.

LB said...

Also, I am so thankful for blogs where we can still be in touch despite time and distance.

Milla said...

LB, I completely agree. What a blessing these blogs are... I feel like I know Ada, and I've never even met her!

Ashley, you work for the same company?! So cool! I guess it's the same company... environmental engineering? Tetra Tech NUS is the more specific name...

Melissa, we really do think alike. In fact, Brad already found a great coffee shop within walking distance of our new place!