Contentment.

Thursday, March 27

Simplicity

Can any of you relate to this quote?

"What controls your heart controls your behavior. Once that treasure is in possession of your heart, it will set the agenda for your words and decisions, for your actions, reactions, and responses. . . ."

I certainly can, and I share it here because I'm sure that everyone can relate in some way. I also share it because I have been reminded recently of how true this principle really is, and I've been challenged to examine my "treasures".


Brad and I just completed some updates to our house, things that we have been wanting to do since we moved in a year and a half ago. It's very nice to have some new things, but we've realized through the process that one new thing often leads to wanting another new thing.

I realized my unfortunate agenda yesterday when Brad and I received an unexpected check in the mail, to which my first reaction was "oh, now we can get ..."!

After a minute or two of talking about prices, Brad and I both just looked at each other, like "what are we thinking?!"

I wasn't even thankful. I just wanted more.

Have you found that sometimes buying just leads to more discontentment? What are your ways for remaining content?

Here are some things I've found to be helpful. Yesterday I was definitely doing a few of these things, and I was left feeling sad about my attitude and thankful for all the ways in which we're already very blessed.


- reminding myself of what the Lord thinks of greed (Col 3:5), and praying for a healthy perspective.

- talking to and trusting the judgment of the hubby, who is very reasonable about "things"

- surrounding myself with people who don't focus on material things. Not that they don't have nice things, but it's not the focus of conversation or of time together. I am very grateful to our church and to academics for friends like this.

- limiting time spent in stores, on websites, and around people who I know from experience will leave me feeling unhappy and wanting more.

- waiting before buying. It's much more rewarding to save up for something than to buy it on impulse and regret it later. I've learned this the hard way.

- purposefully enjoying something free! a good run, a book already on my shelf, time with friends, my dogs, etc.



I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this...

7 comments:

Melissa said...

wow..great post! Makes the wheels in my heart and mind start turning~ I totally agree with you in that once you start buying one thing it leads to another and you realize you can ALWAYS find something else to spend money on. I really think the Lord blesses us with seasons of 'poverty' (both financially as well as materially) in order to remind us how little we can truly live on--and how he can truly come in and fill those areas of poverty. I also think he blesses us with surprise checks (aren't those wonderful?) to see where our hearts are on certain matters. I think you are a wonderful example of how the Lord gives us his perspective Milla~ thank you for reminding me of that!! I love checking out movies and books at the Library too:-)

LB said...

hey Milla, great post and very convicting. I totally understand and relate to everything that you said!! Something that happens in my life is that Scott and I often find ourselves worrying about money, despite the fact that we have seen God provide in AMAZING ways since we got married. It blows my mind that we still worry. And when I worry that way it reveals what my heart treasures!! Financial security. Thanks again for the post.

As for remaining content--I think everything you said is so true, surrounding ourselves with people who have the correct perspective is so important.

LB said...

one more thing...

could you post pictures of the house? I would love to see it!

Milla said...

It's great to hear thoughts from you guys. I love both of your thoughts about His blessings and timing. Thanks!

LB, I just posted two pictures on my flickr website (linked on the sidebar of my blog). The kitchen is still a work in progress...

LB said...

love the kitchen, Milla, and love living vicariously through all you brave and creative souls that are redoing these houses. Keep the pictures coming!!

The Gentrys said...

Hi Milla, You probably don't remember me, but I lived in the white house with Laura Luginbuhl after ya'll moved out and now my husband is in pharmacy school with Krisan. He showed Krisan our new attempt at blogging yesterday and she went to your site to show him your photography because that is something I am slowly getting into...and your photography is great by the way! I loved this post and it was exactly what I needed to hear! We bought a house in Phil's hometown and have been so excited about it...but our list of things we want to do to it keeps getting longer...you are so right, the more you get, the more you want and my thoughts are so often consumed with what we want to do next instead of praising Jesus for what he has given us. Thanks for the reminder!

Katie B said...

i think randy pope said it well: "The objects we pursue are in truth nothing more than counterfeits of real glory. Counterfeit glory becomes a narcotic. The more we get, the more we need. The more we need, the more dissatisfied we become..." Especially when we have tasted and seen that the Lord is more satisfying than anything in this world :) thanks for your word today!!