What are the best movies you saw this year?
When I was thinking about this question, two movies immediately came to mind. Brad and I rarely make it to the movie theater, but we netflix, and there were some great ones this year.
Here are my two favorites:
Number two: The Lives of Others
The Lives of Others is set in the 1980s in East Germany, and it's the story of a playwright whose apartment is tapped by the Stasi, and it also ends up being the story of the man who taps the apartment.
Brad watched this movie before I did, and when I came out and asked him how it was, he was simply in a daze. After watching it, I understand why. This movie was intelligent and thoughtful, and the plot was rich. I think one of the reasons that this movie is so gripping is that characters are developed to behave out of character. It's fascinating, and I think it's such an amazing picture of true human nature. Another reason I love this movie is the ending. Just when you think the story can't be resolved, everything is pulled together in a truly brilliant way, and you'll be left dazed, as we both were.
Be mindful that the movie's plot is based on a high-ranking official's attraction to the playwright's girlfriend, so there is some sexuality that is unnecessary; however, the attraction is not the focus of this film: the humanity and unpredictability of everyone involved is.
If you've seen it, let me know, what did you think?
My favorite movie of the year: Pan's Labyrinth
Pan's Labyrinth is the story of a young girl, Ofelia, who moves with her mother to live with Captain Vidal, the captain of a troop of Spanish soldiers warring against a small group of resistors in the forest. In the middle of terrifying circumstances, Ofelia finds another world, a world that for her becomes a way out of the nightmare.
Without hesitation, I can say that this is the best movie I've seen in a long, long time. From the first scene to the very last, this movie is breathtaking. The characters are mysterious; the scene is dark; the whole story is so believable and profound that it brings tears to your eyes. The movie is set in warring Spain, and the captain is cruel, so there certainly are violent scenes that are hard to sit through. However, this violence is, I think, a necessary part of the movie, for you have to truly feel Ofelia's fear in order to escape with her; you have to feel her fear in order to believe in the power of her imagination.
And, it's worth mentioning that the soundtrack is just (well, almost) as powerful as the movie.
If you have seen the movie, let me know your thoughts. In Ofelia's second task, why does she open the left door instead of the middle one, like the book and fairies tell her? I have a theory, but I'm curious what others think!
Here are the trailers for both movies. Enjoy!
The Lives of Others
Pan's Labyrinth
What are the best movies you saw this year and why? What do you think will be the best of 2008?
Movies
Wednesday, January 9
Labels: Movies Music and Books
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment