
One of my favorite sections from one of my favorite books is called "The Man Who Taught Me to See." I just read it again recently and wanted to share the goodness here:
"Someone introduced me to [C.S.] Lewis my freshman year...for the next five or six years I was almost never without a Lewis book at hand. I think that without his influence I would not have lived my life with as much joy or usefulness as I have. There are reasons for this...
Lewis gave me an intense sense of the "realness" of things. The preciousness of this is hard to communicate. To wake up in the morning and be aware of the firmness of the mattress, the warmth of the sun's rays, the sound of the clock ticking, the sheer being of things ("quiddity" as he calls it). He helped me become alive to life ... he made me more alive to beauty (19). "
-Dr. John Piper, Don't Waste Your Life
Isn't that great?
Today I thought about the quiddity of things as I was at school, outside, and at home... and I was thankful for Lewis, and for Piper, and for the awareness of "things that, if we didn't have, we would pay a million dollars to have, but having them, ignore (20).
So, here's the "quiddity" that made me close my eyes and give thanks today...
- community
- unexpected conversations
- a sunny afternoon, worn-in running shoes, and panting dogs on leashes.
- thoughtful, inspiring Art - in particular, Once (thanks, LB!)
- The smell of dinner on the grill
What's yours been today?
Today's Quiddity
Monday, March 31
Labels: About us..., Movies Music and Books
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
aching feet that make me remember that I have feet and happy that I do and can at least feel the ache
(is that one?)
Mom
Chappell
Absolutely it is! Glad to hear it (but not glad about your poor feet...)
Milla-so glad you found our blog! You are an fabulous writer and I look forward to following your blog! :)
Milla, I love that picture. Did you take it near where you live? What a fun color!!
By the way, I love when you ask us to participate in your blogs--like a fun, interactive exercise. Makes me feel like I am a student doing a warmup in your class:)
I think today's quiddity is my house. I am already so used to being here, and I don't want to already forget how God provided it for us. I am so thankful for it and the fact that it is mine, and not just a rental.
By the way, I am guessing college students don't do warmups. My student's had "bellringers" everyday so that I could take role and do other housekeeping type things.
Post a Comment