This is my theory: graduate school is a perpetual series of ups and downs, and only when the ups outnumber the downs can a student survive. Those of you reading, do you agree? Let me give you an idea of what I’m talking about when I say “ups” and “downs.”
My ups:
1. A day when I “got it”
2. A day when my students “got it”
3. A word of encouragement from a colleague or professor
4. thought-provoking research
5. A break!
6. A productive night
7. A task well-done
My downs:
1. lack of sleep
2. a less-than-ideal grade or review
3. deadlines
4. ultra-competitive colleagues
So, what makes us stick it out? If burn-out is a result of too many downs, how can we strive to create more positive experiences?
I have some ideas. This I will call “Graduate School: A Survival Guide”
1. Preparation. I have realized that when I show up to classes unprepared, I leave exhausted and frustrated from trying to catch up and understand. If I take an hour to simply read over the material, I will understand what’s going on, and I will be able to “get it.” See number 1 and 2 in my “ups” list above.
2. TV on DVD. This is very important for a graduate student. These short 30-minute episoldes of your favorite TV show (mine being Scrubs, Arrested Development, and Seinfeld) are a good source of sanity. See number 5 in my “ups” list above. Everyone can take 30 minutes out of work to laugh a little.
3. Be an encourager. If you encourage others, they will likely return the favor. I make a point to not only encourage my colleagues, but I also try to encourage my professors. Remember, they are people too! See ups list #3.
4. Surround yourself with good people. If certain people make you feel bad about yourself, simply don't go there. This applies to friends, advisors, etc. This is similar to number three.
5. Work on something you love. Don’t choose your research based on ease or on faculty input. Choose topics based on interest. If not, burnout is a sure result! See ups list #4.
6. Get out of the house. Sometimes you just need to go to the library or a coffee shop. This will help with numbers 6 and 7 on the ups list.
7. Exercise. This is an absolute necessity for me. It helps me wake up in the morning; it helps me sleep well at night. It gives me energy, and it serves as a stress-reliever.
8. Finally, try not to complain about your situation as a student. Whenever I am tempted to complain, I think "I am blessed to be where I am right now!" I applied for this program and got in; I love what I study, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I truly believe that hard days in school are better than the monotony of the mind-numbing nine-to-five jobs that most Americans sit through.
Okay, those are my suggestions. What about the rest of you? What are your tricks for staying sane? Post a comment and let us know
Graduate School: A Survival Guide
Tuesday, April 10
Labels: Florida life
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
You are so inspirational... I like this listing idea. Did you get my voice mail about Mama Mia (broadway play??) Thats the one we loved!!!
milla you need to update your blog girly.... :)
Post a Comment